Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

I keep running into folks that seem relieved 2008 is over and can only hope that 2009 will be a better year. I guess in terms of financial prosperity that could be true, but I've spent the last 24 hours reflecting a lot, and in a lot of ways I don't know if Grady and I could do any better. When we count our blessings we are rich beyond measure. 

I don't have to tell any of you how blessed we are with our children so this one is for you parents---ALL 8 of you! (yes, 8 of you--we still haven't had time to see Four Christmases yet, because we've been visiting with all of you)

Seriously though, I feel lucky for so many reasons to be your daughter and daughter-in-law. 

Mom, your energy this year campaigning for countless underdogs, your service to the Louisiana Racing Commission and devotion to sweet BryBry is remarkable to me. After all that, your patience with me and talent as "OFFICIAL Halloween Costumer" is the best of gifts I ever got in 2008. I'm hoping to have half your energy in 2009.

Bryan, your constant perseverance to improve the quality of life for the city you so love and its citizens is remarkable. Partisan politics aside, this article will probably be interesting to all of you.

Dad, your service as President of the Lions Club, leading members to serve the community in so many good works is so admirable. Assisting your sisters in pulling off a 90th birthday for your Dad was such a memorable special event. Heck, just having a Dad who is 90 and healthy and happy is no small task. 

Dad and Faye, your dedication to so many deserving underprivileged children and their families touches my heart. What an example of generosity you two display year round. 

Lee, your devotion to all the familial units surrounding you and Warren is really in a word--beautiful. You are such an example of "grace." I've never seen you tire of grandchildren, nephews, nieces, brothers, sisters, children, friends...the list goes on. This is a gift.

Warren, I happen to know you are one of those quiet, anonymous types that spreads insurmountable joy and wisdom to so many on a daily basis. How privileged am I to have you as a father-in-law.

Dad (G3) and Kathy--I think this article really sums up how sincerely proud Grady and I are of the two of you--taking on Homeland Security for the greater good of your community, renovating your charming home, publishing Award winning childrens' books, and tending prolific seasonal gardens at Sunnybank. 

Despite the economy, you are all so generous of time, money, and spirit. I know my children will be better in this world for having grandparents like you. 

So, whether any of you took a pay cut or not in 2008--congratulations on a job well done!

Here's to continued success in the New Year!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Amanda. What a nice way to boost everyone’s spirits!

It is such a delight, and rather remarkable, to hear someone with so many parts to her family who can still appreciate each. It is more the norm in these divorce-ridden days for children to cut themselves off from one or more of their parents and in-laws, and particularly from the new spouses of their parents and in-laws. So, I genuinely appreciate and admire your warm and enthusiastic embrace of each of us.

We all know too many who are quick to find fault, quick to be hurt, and slow to forgive. What a refreshing difference you exhibit from this much-too-common human failing!

We’ve just finished celebrating the birthday of a baby born two thousand years ago. Called the “light of the world”, he admonished his followers to let their lights shine before others. Thank you, Amanda, for letting your light illuminate and inspire the world of your family and friends.

Love,
Warren

Anonymous said...

Great blog, Amanda! I didn't even know you had a blog until Lee sent her annual Christmas letter. What nice sentiments in your New Year Post and a great way to honor all of your parents.

I was reading D "Twas the Night Before Christmas" last night and there were three kids in bed. She likes to name everyone in books she reads, and at first she named the kids, "Daphne, Vivi, and she paused... I said how about your cousins Brock or Mac? She renamed the kids in bed, Daphne, Brock and Mac. No more Vivi. Too funny.

Best wishes in 2009!

We would love to get the kids together sometime.

Love,
Adrienne

Amanda Thrasher said...

Oh Sweet Daphne is getting to that age where she is going to start saying the funniest things----write them down---I just keep word doc icon on my desktop and quickly write down stuff there when the spirit moves me with the date. It's really fun to look back on now and then. Also funny to tell the kids stories about things they said.